What is the Mission Cooperative Plan?
The Pontifical Mission Societies in the Archdiocese of Los Angeles accept requests from Mission Dioceses, Religious Orders, and Lay Organizations working in the missions to preach at a parish for the purpose of making an appeal for financial support. Dioceses, Religious Orders, and Lay Organizations are encouraged to participate in the Mission Cooperative Plan (MCP) on an annual basis. This annual appeal helps unite the Archdiocese of Los Angeles with the Universal Church and to create mission awareness. The generous response, which is traditional amongst the people of Los Angeles, reflects the ongoing awareness and concern for the people of the world.
Taking the opportunity to share in this mutually beneficial cooperative generates a zeal for the missions of this Archdiocese. Mission Dioceses and the leaders of men’s and women’s religious communities as well as lay organizations are invited to submit applications to speak at parishes. These appeals inform the parishioners about the mission work and provide an opportunity for them to respond to and support this important work.
Apply, Guidelines and Requirements for 2024
Missionary Bishops and leaders of Mission Communities who would like to be considered for the Mission Cooperative Plan will need to submit a completed application along with an original “Letter of Request” from the local bishop, superior, or board president granting you permission to apply to participate in the MCP for the Archdiocese of Los Angeles.
The following information needs to be included in the original “Letter of Request”:
- A description of the work done by your (arch)diocese, mission, or organization
- Why your (arch)diocese, mission, or organization should be considered for participation in the MCP.
- How MCP funds will be concretely used?
- Who will directly benefit from these funds?
- Specify that you are authorized to function legally as a 501-3-C or similar identity.
- The Letter must be stamped with an original signature of your (arch)diocese, institute, or society.
The deadline to return the Application and Letter of Request is December 1, 2023. Mail to: Mission Cooperative Plan, 3424 Wilshire Blvd., 3rd Floor, Los Angeles CA 90010.