The specific purpose of the Missionary Union of Priests and Religious is to increase missionary work and expand the missions through the direct commitment of those, like the Apostles, who have received the call: “Go, therefore, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the holy Spirit…” (Mt 28:19). The goal of its work is not only to make known the progress of faith around the world and to help the missionaries through prayers and offerings, but above all to support and put the Church in a position to carry out her evangelization task with more missionaries, the indigenous clergy and committed laypersons.
The Missionary Union of Priests and Religious aims to:
- Promote missionary awareness among seminarians, priests, religious, pastoral leaders and those engaged in catechesis and religious education
- Animate all the animators of the People of God for the Mission (RM 84) spreading and promoting the other Pontifical Mission Societies
- Favor the union of Christians so “that they may be brought to perfection as one, that the world may know that you sent me…” (Jn 17:23);
- Put the whole Church “in a state of mission”
- Meditate on Holy Scripture to understand God’s plan of universal salvation and know the missionary nature of his Church;
- Read and study the documents of the Second Vatican Council and the Popes’ missionary encyclicals;
- See one’s personal history and that of one’s Church in a world perspective in order to think and act on the universal level;
- Pray “the master of the harvest to send out laborers for his harvest” (Mt 9:37-38).